Miss C’s Birth Story Part 1

Warning:  This post is very open and honest about the birth process I went through.  If you do not want to read it or are not interested in the complete story, then feel free to skip it and come back later for a lighter post.  🙂

This birth story begins a week before the actual birth of Miss C.  On Tuesday, October 15th I woke up to get ready for school.  When I got out of bed and walked to the dryer to get out my clothes, I felt a couple small gushes of fluid and thought that my water may have broken.  I had also had a ton of severe back pain during this time.  I was unable to get comfortable at all and unable to make it go away.  I called my doctor’s office and told them about my symptoms.  The on-call midwife said that it didn’t sound like my water had broken, and to go ahead and just get ready for work like normal.  During the day I had some contractions and ended up calling my doctor again.  This time she said to come on in, and they would check it out.

I went in and found out that my water had not broken, although there was really no explanation for the fluid and continuing mucous.  My blood pressure was high, and they did find some protein in my urine.  Those two symptoms could possibly be signs of pre-eclampsia.  The midwife wanted me to go ahead and do a 24-hour urine collection.  This is exactly what it sounds like… I had to collect my pee for 24 hours.  Not fun!

The next day (Wednesday) I took off work, since I didn’t think my coworkers really wanted me to keep a jug of pee in the work fridge.  I took the collection to the doctor and saw a midwife since my back pain had not let up at all.   They also had me do an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels since I still felt fluid leaking.  The ultrasound came out fine with nothing to worry about, but still no explanation for the fluid.  (I did find out the Miss C was facing up, which could have been the cause of my back pain.)  The midwife ended up giving me a prescription pain med for my back.  I was supposed to have parent-teacher conferences that evening, but ended up cancelling them due to not being able to drive while taking the meds.

On Thursday my back was still killing me, and I still had fluid leaking.  I didn’t want to go to the doctor for a 3rd day in a row, so I just toughed it out and got through our conferences for that day.  Luckily I have a stellar student teacher who helped out on all of these days and made things a million times better!

The next few days were as normal as could be.  Friday I didn’t have school, so I was able to just lie around and be in pain due to my back hurting.  Saturday was the same as Friday.  Sunday I started having some contractions and was in so much pain that I could not get comfortable or relax for bed.  Finally at about 1:00 in the morning, I called the doctor and told her that I was going to the hospital… no asking her opinion this time.  I was in too much pain to deal with it.  Hubs drove us to the hospital where we were sent to a pre-labor room.  I was checked and was about 2 cm and 80% effaced.  The nurse waited an hour and checked me again.  My contractions were not very regular and after an hour I had not progressed, so they sent us home.

By the time I got home it was about 4:00 in the morning.  I called in to work and took the day off… it was just a day of meetings, so I didn’t miss any time with the kids.  On Tuesday I went to school and that is when things started getting intense.  Around 9:00 I started having contractions (along with terrible back pain still).  I timed my contractions, and they were steadily about 5-7 minutes apart all day.  I didn’t want to be the crazy lady who went in for false labor two days apart from each other, so I just hung out in a small work room trying to get any relief possible.  (Again, so thankful and lucky for an amazing student teacher!)  Finally around 2:00, I called the nurse and texted my parents.  My contractions had been 5 minutes apart for well over an hour… I was still not convinced it was real labor, though.

The nurse at the doctor’s office said to go on in to the hospital, and my parents left their house to come and pick me up from work.   I called Hubs at this point and his sergeant told him to go ahead and go to the hospital.  This was tough because he was at the hospital for almost an hour before I got there.  He was just waiting and worrying the whole time.

We got to the hospital around 4:00 and went to the pre-labor room.  At this point I was 3 cm and about 90% effaced.  They said to wait an hour, and they would check me again.  I continued to have severe back pain, so at one point I was trying to roll over and get on all fours (to help relieve the back pain) and all of sudden there was a gush of fluid.  I looked at the bed and sure enough there was fluid and blood there.  I called the nurse and told her that I thought my water had broken.  She came in and looked, and sure enough, it had…

Look for part 2 coming tomorrow!  I didn’t want to make this story too long… I will also have some pictures of Miss C’s first few minutes in this world. 🙂


One thought on “Miss C’s Birth Story Part 1

  1. Pingback: 2012 in Review | Confessions of a Resolutionist

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s